February 2018: Our team presented findings about the prevalence of stepfamilies in the Netherlands and relations between adult children and their stepparents at the first congress “Samengesteld Gezin” of the Dutch Stiefgoed Academie (an organisation focused on providing knowledge about and support for stepfamilies).
December 2017: On December 8th, we will host our first expert meeting and will present the first findings of our OKiN survey. The programme can be found here.
October 2017: After about a year of questionnaire preparation and testing, data collection and data cleaning, we now have the first release of the multi-actor OKiN data ready to work with.
August 2017: European Consortium for Sociological Research, Milan, Italy
- The educational gradient in multipartner fertility in the Netherlands: A study of Dutch men and women. Katya Ivanova, University of Amsterdam; Ruben van Gaalen, University of Amsterdam / CBS
- The intergenerational transmission of crime: Is it crime or deprivation? Ruben van Gaalen, University of Amsterdam / CBS; Gregory Besjes
- Family complexity and normative family obligations: The role of divorce and co-residential history in norms to support elderly parents and stepparents. Kirsten van Houdt, Matthijs Kalmijn, Katya Ivanova, University of Amsterdam
July 2017: The OKiN data collection is complete! We are currently busy with cleaning and preparing the datasets but in the meantime, you can see the table of contents of the OKiN codebook here.
May 2017: Op-ed piece, written by Bella Depaulo for the New York Times, discusses the recently published work by Matthijs Kalmijn in Social Forces on the ambiguous link between marriage and health (the Social Forces publication can be found here).
April 2017: We are looking for a new junior member of our group! For more information, see the announcement on the website of the Interuniversity Center for Social Science Theory and Methodology. Deadline: 10th of May
March 2017: Team member Ruben van Gaalen gave his inaugural talk, focusing on the use of register data for the study of diversity in life courses. For more information (in Dutch), see here.
January 2017: our data collection has begun! After months of intense questionnaire preparation, the OKiN field work started in mid-January, facilitated by the CBS. More information for the participants (in Dutch), can be found here.
December 2016: Ruben van Gaalen discusses the challenges which family complexity poses for people during the holiday season in the Dutch newspaper NRC (in Dutch, Geef je familie nog één kans).
September 2016: European Consortium for Sociological Research, Oxford, UK
- FRIDAY, SEP 23: Diverging destinies in the Netherlands? The educational gradient of union formation, childbearing and union dissolution in the 21st century • Ruben van Gaalen, University of Amsterdam; Anne-Rigt Poortman, Utrecht University; Kirsten van Houdt, Utrecht University.
- FRIDAY, SEP 23: Cementing the stepfamily? Biological and social parents’ well-being after the birth of a common child in stepfamilies • Katya Ivanova, University of Amsterdam; Nicoletta Balbo, Università Bocconi.
August 2016: European Population Conference, Mainz, Germany
- FRIDAY, SEP 2: Family structure and leaving home: why do young adults from non-intact families leave earlier? Lonneke van den Berg, University of Amsterdam; Matthijs Kalmijn, University of Amsterdam; Thomas Leopold, University of Amsterdam.